A Graduate Assistantship is one of the best ways to gain experience and support during your time as a graduate student
It is very important to be able to be supported while also getting applicable experience while in graduate school, and graduate assistantships can often be almost as important as the curriculum itself in terms of providing graduate students with invaluable knowledge and skills for work after graduation. However, it’s often hard to know where to look for and how to go about receiving this kind of support. So, for your benefit, below is a list of informational documents and steps to help guide you through the Graduate Assistantship hiring process at Tennessee Tech.
Graduate Assistantship: Student Information
Graduate Assistantships are only available to students who have been admitted with full standing into a Tennessee Tech graduate degree program.
A limited number of Graduate Assistantships are available throughout the University. Graduate Assistantships provide tuition remission at an in-state rate, a percentage of your fees, and a modest monthly stipend. Graduate Assistants are responsible for all fees not covered by the assistantship. All fees must be paid by the fee payment deadlines posted by the Tennessee Tech Bursar Office each semester.
Persons interested in applying for a Graduate Assistantship should submit their Graduate Assistantship application to the individual college or department they are interested in working with. Direct contact with each college or department is encouraged as additional application materials and references may be required and some departments may also have specific deadlines for assistantship applications as stated above.
Instructions to apply for a Graduate Assistantship
The criteria listed are required for all assistantships; however, each department may require more information (e.g. letters of recommendation, personal statement, etc.). You must contact the “Contact Person” listed below for more information about their criteria.
Steps for Applying:
- Complete the Graduate Assistantship application located below.
- Save the application to your computer and email it as an attachment to the appropriate contact person listed below in the Departments Offering Assistantships.
- Along with the application, please send your resume and all additional information you feel may be helpful to the contact person.
- Wait for a response from the contact person regarding additional information or documentation that may require be required (e.g. letters of recommendation, personal statement, etc.).
- If you have not heard anything within one week, please follow up with the contact person.
- There is no limit to the number of graduate assistant positions you may apply for.
- In order to begin your assistantship, you must be fully admitted into your graduate degree program and be enrolled as a full-time graduate student.
- In order to remain eligible for an assistantship, you must maintain a minimum cumulative graduate GPA of 3.0 each semester.
- Graduate Research Assistants need to have a complete understanding of Tennessee Tech’s Intellectual Property policies and how it may impact them. Advise all Research Assistants to visit the Tennessee Tech Intellectual Property website and the TBR Intellectual Property website.