Amy Stafford, Graduate Student in Environmental Informatics

WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO GO TO GRADUATE SCHOOL?
When I graduated from Maryville College, I knew that I wanted to build upon my degree with supplementary skills. I realized I lacked the depth of skill that would enable me to enter a technically driven area of my field. I felt that going into a more focused graduate program would help develop my skills.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TECH FOR YOUR GRADUATE STUDIES?
When I looked into Tennessee Tech, I was immediately drawn to Environmental Informatics in the School of Environmental Studies due to how well it coincided with my career interests. The program involves coursework in multiple disciplines and incorporates them in an environmental context while equipping students to succeed in the industry as professionals.

HOW HAS YOUR GRADUATE PROGRAM HELPED YOU PREPARE FOR YOUR PROFESSION?
I have developed marketable skills and have a better understanding of what I want to do as a profession. I’ve
discovered a love for data analysis and visualization and learned methods and techniques to convey information effectively and persuasively to people both inside and outside of this field. I feel I will be fully prepared to enter the workforce.

WHAT DO YOU PLAN TO DO WITH YOUR TECH DEGREE?
I think that I would like to work in data visualization within the environmental field. Ultimately, while I still am not certain of the specifics, I do know I’d like it to be interdisciplinary in nature and be within the environmental industry.

Previous articleAlison Piepmeier inspired many people throughout her life
Next articleTech launches new master of accountancy program in fall 2017