Faculty Fresh Face: Mohammad Shah Alam

Mohammad Shah Alam
Instructor, computer science

Mohammad Shah Alam is a new member of the Department of Computer Science at Tennessee Tech. From working in Bangladesh and Japan, here are a few fast facts you should know about him.

Where did you earn your degrees?

I earned my Ph.D. from Waseda University in 2009 and my Master of Science degree from Waseda in 2006, and my Bachelor of Science degree from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology in Dhaka, Bangladesh, in 2001.

Where have you previously taught?

I used to be a faculty member (associate professor) at BUET, a premier engineering university in Bangladesh. Prior to joining BUET, I also worked as a research assistant professor at Waseda University in Tokyo, Japan, for almost two years.

Is there a specific reason you chose Tennessee Tech?

I was very impressed about the diversity of programs that the computer science department at Tech offers. More specifically, I was very much interested about the cybersecurity concentration which fully aligns with my current research interest.

What is your favorite thing about your profession?

Blending teaching with research is my favorite thing. Teaching in the classroom gives me the opportunity to interact with more students and to transfer my knowledge to my students in a more interactive way. It helps me to reach out to the most appropriate students who also have the same research interest and common passion.

What skill do you believe sets you apart from other professors in your field?

I am pretty much a people person. I love to interact with my students, colleagues, even people outside my circle. And I always take this opportunity to learn about their problems which may have a technical solution.

What are some of your hobbies?

Playing table tennis, soccer, cricket and volleyball.