image Assistant Professor

Department of English

As the newest member of the English department at Tennessee Tech University, here are a few things you need to know about the outdoor enthusiast and dog lover Helen Hunt.

Q: Where did you earn your degrees?

Helen: I earned my bachelor’s and master’s degrees from California Polytechnic State University and my doctorate degree from Purdue in 2015.

Q: Where have you previously taught?

Helen: I have previously taught at Purdue University, California Polytechnic State University and San Luis Obispo.

Q: Is there a specific reason you chose Tech?

Helen: I appreciate the way Tech values teaching while also encouraging research, and the English department is a wonderful community to join.

Q: What are your favorite things about your profession?

Helen: I love it all; for me, teaching is the most important part of being a professor, but researching and writing matter too. Researching not only stimulates new knowledge, but it keeps me constantly learning and engaged, which in turn makes me a better teacher.

Q: What skills do you believe set you apart?

Helen: I don’t like to think of myself in opposition to the other excellent teachers and wonderful researchers working in my field. Instead, I think that collaboration and mutual engagement creates the best scholarship and teaching, and I’m honored to contribute to my field in this way.

Q: What are some of your hobbies?

Helen: I like the outdoors: hiking, camping, kayaking, stand up paddling, and playing with my dog Jack.